Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Potted Potter Experience



I was able to watch Potted Potter with Petite last Wednesday and boy was it a show. It's their 2nd time here in the Philippines as signified by "Returns to Manila" based on the posters and I'm glad they decided to come back.  The show only lasts for 5 days starting Wednesday until Sunday with two shows on Friday and the weekends and it's showing on the Carlos P Romulo auditorium in RCBC.

Gary and Jesse
Potted Potter is a parody of all the 7 Harry Potter books under 70 minutes with only 2 actors, Jesse and Gary. Yes, only 2 actors. Before I watched it, I checked some Youtube clips first and saw that it will be a fun show. It was so fun that I was laughing most of the time and I know I'm not the only one because even the girl on my back was cracking up most of the show. The ad-libs and some modifications on the script to suit the country where they are performing was a good touch, it's a customized show! And that cake, which I'm sure is only on our show, (hahaha laughing as I type this) is something to remember.

Jesse talking to the audience before the show starts.
We arrived just in time as the seats are getting filled and saw Jesse talking to some of the audience as we all wait for the show to start. I wasn't able to take a lot of photos because I was laughing on my seat the whole time and we were not allowed to do so anyway but I managed to sneak a few. As any kind of parody, it's mostly comedy as the characters goof around the stage while they try to tell the story of Harry Potter books. They were able to summarize the whole story and managed to tell the plot twist on book 3 perfectly. Oh yeah, with comedy in between.

Garry as the snitch
There was also a Quiditch game that we all had a chance to participate in. Jesse divided the audience to two houses and we got to play with an inflatable ball as we try to shoot it through the hoops on the sides of the auditorium while the two chosen seekers dance on stage calling "where's the snitch. where's the snitch". One of those who volunteered, a small lady, whom I assume came from work, was shy because she can't do what Jesse was telling her to do, the jumping and bending and the voice. At one point, Jesse looks at her and tells her "Yes this is happening". (hahaha) Jesse was the referee and Garry was the snitch. This is the part where I enjoyed the most because Garry was all gold, since he was the snitch, and as he exits the scene, he decided to dance the "Single Ladies" moves while blowing on the whistle that makes him sound like a snitch. It was so unexpected for me, and somewhat related to imgur jokes, that it made me laugh out loud. Hahaha really funny!

oh yeah, the Forbidden Forest. :)
There were a lot of running jokes in the show and the more they use it, the more funnier it becomes. They poked fun at some of the characters from the book (even on the last movies) and had a couple of references from Les Miserables, Lord of the Rings and Twilight. All in good fun.

I highly recommend this show. If it comes to your place, be sure to catch it and have a fun time! You won't be disappointed, unless you're a super hardcore Harry Potter fan that don't like parodies. I won't mind watching it again because I'm sure there will be some new jokes in store for me.

Hahaha because I remembered some of the jokes. :)

image of Jesse and Gary from www.brisbanetimes.com.au

0 comments:

Post a Comment