Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Looking For the Perfect Messenger Bag

My bag and my planner
Among other things that I'm doing right now, I'm also on the hunt for a perfect messenger bag. Of course perfect being subjective. I've had my Celio messenger (?) bag for more than a couple of years now and it served me well through a lot of rains and hellish heat in the metro and it's still in good condition, aging quite well. I think it's not real leather or else it would have cost more but it feels like one. Even the shoulder strap is made of the same material and is comfortable even without a shoulder pad. The buckles aren't rusting and isn't smelling metallic even after being subjected to the weather. It's a really small bag, able to fit my planner and a small foldable umbrella. That's the thing though, it's too small for me now, I need a bigger bag that can carry more stuff incase I need to. Before I thought going small is OK, and it was, but now I changed my mind.


This all started when I saw a thread in The Verge forum talking about laptop bags. Actually even before, I've contemplated on getting a bigger bag because there are times when I had to carry another bag because it couldn't fit on my daily bag. That thread reminded me to do so. My requirements for a new bag are 

  • Should look good on both casual look and with corporate attire.
  • Material should either be waxed canvass or leather.
  • Preferably with a shoulder pad.
  • Should be able to fit a small bond paper without the need to fold it.
  • Can carry a 13-inch laptop. (that 13-inch laptop is another story)
  • Optional, can double as a camera bag.
I have set my eyes on a couple of bags because of their looks but I don't think I'll be getting any of them because of one reason, price! True enough that expensive things looks gorgeous! So these bags are mostly my baseline on what my new bag should look like.


alterthemood.blogspot.com
Billingham's Hadley Small (Or Large but that's 15")
I've always wanted this bag ever since I saw it featured on DigitalRev. It's actually a camera bag but doubles as an ordinary everyday bag but simply pulling out the sleeves. Don't you think it looks good? Because I think it does. Doesn't look like a camera bag at all. Stealthy in that sense. Leather plus Fibrenyte material and brass fittings equals really good quality and screams in price as well. Another downside is it's too small to fit a 13-inch laptop unless I pick up an 11-inch Macbook Air.

www.onabags.com

Ona's Brixton
Another camera bag with that looks. I actually had a camera bag like this before so I know how it feels to carry a bag like this. It's not as flexible as the Billingham Hadley Small because the pads are built into the bag though I can remove the separators to make space. This can fit a 13-inch laptop together with a DSLR and a couple of lenses. It's made of waxed canvass to protect it from the weather and has brass buckles as well. Price? Expensive.

www.jcrew.com


Abingdon's Laptop Bag

This time it's a true laptop bag and this is actually quite big at 15 inches. I'll have no problems with capacity on this one. Same material, waxed cotton canvass, some leather, and brass fittings. Maybe too big for my taste but looks good. Price? Half as those on top but still expensive for me. Maybe if I can see the material, it might convince me. Maybe too formal.

www.ernestalexander.com

Earnest Alexander's Hudson Olive Wax Twill Messenger
I've saved the best for last. This big and pricey bag is made of waxed canvass, some leather and some brass. Same thing as above. It's 16-inch wide and can fit a 17-inch Macbook Pro (I think). This is something I'll use if I want to bring everything with me. This can double as a camera bag by just getting some protective padding for my camera gear. Too large and definitely too expensive as well. I'd rather buy a new lens, or a camera, or take someone to some fancy dinner and still have some left with the cost of this bag. But you can't argue that this doesn't look beautiful because it's so simple, it's gorgeous. From their website We hate flashy logos, We put ours discreetly ont he inside.

So with those bags as my standards, last week I looked around Ayala malls and some other malls that are accessible to me on a daily basis only to find out that no store has any that looks like the bags I mentioned. Celio has a good messenger bag, can fit 13-inch, but not waxed meaning if it rained, the contents will be drenched as well. I think it costs the same as my current Celio shoulder bag. Kenneth Cole does have a messenger bag with good quality, a bit on the heavy side though, both in weight and price. In short, couldn't find any locally. Even online. So I had no choice but to go international and Ebay US have a lot of affordable options for me. Now, how to get them from there to here.. and if you have any suggestions, please do tell me and I thank you in advance.

2 comments:

This post was so incredibly helpful!! thank you sooo much for putting this together!! I looked and looked and LOOKED for websites to find cool camera bags, thanks to you i found SEVERAL that i love. Thanks again!!

Combination Laptop and Camera Bags

Post a Comment