Sunday, August 5, 2012

Camera Options ... Sony RX100

gearpatrol.com
I don't want to make two consecutive Camera Options posts but I just have to add this to that list because this is exactly what I'm looking for! Have you heard of Sony RX100? Well, it's the camera that is pictured above and it's one fantastic P&S camera because it's the answer to my dilema between Canon's S100 and Fuji's X10. I'm having trouble deciding between Canon S100 "pocketability" and Fuji X10's sensor capability and lens. But now I have a solution and that is this camera, the Sony RX100!

gearpatrol.com
So imagine combining those two cameras I mentioned before and you get this lovely Leica-ish RX100 and more! It's widest aperture is f/1.8 on it's wide end 28mm (only in 28mm though) and has a 1" sensor size! Yes! Double that of Fuji X10! Why I'm making a fuzz with the sensor size is because having a larger sensor means more depth of field on your photos and better low light capability. All in one sleek package that can slip inside your jeans pocket or any pocket for that matter. I've read reviews about it and it looks like the RX100 is a dynamite of a P&S camera. Sony has set the bar high for these kind of cameras for sure. I decided that I'll be getting the Fuji X10 tomorrow but then I read about this fantastic camera a moment ago and saw the photos and I know that this trumps my other choices.

theverge.com

Of course there are drawbacks, no hotshoe for external flash. The aperture of the lens drops to f/4.9 on tele compared to Fuji's f/2-f/2.8 lens. No optical viewfinder (although I really don't mind) and others are saying, no tilt-screen but I'm not bothered about it either. Oh, it's also pricey at $650. (Ouch!). Fuji X10 is priced at $599 and the S100 is definitely cheaper. The part with the lens is my only concern, but high ISO results from reviews are really good for this p&s camera.


theverge.com
This is definitely an option for me! I was ready to get an X10 then I saw this and I changed my mind. But as I'm writing this, I had another change of heart to go back to the X10 because of the lens and physical controls. I really like the lens of the X10 because of it's wide aperture on it's lens, it's not constant but it's definitely faster than the f/4.9 or the f/5.6 of other P&S cameras. Now I don't know which to get... and I don't have a camera for Tuesday...

click on the images above to read the reviews from The Verge and Gear Patrol. Also, you might want to read Steve Huff's review of RX100.

Update. I just noticed in some comparison photos, the RX100 is bulkier than the S95 or the S100. So if you put this in your pocket, people would think you're happy to see them. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment