Sunday, July 29, 2012

Camera Options... Canon EOS M

theverge.com
I'm sure you've heard that Canon has recently unveiled their newest camera, the Canon EOS M. I've already posted my first impressions (based on specs and articles on the web) about the EOS M on Slide and Tap. Also, this is an extension of my previous blog post Camera Options For Me (And You) where I share what cameras I'm looking forward to.

There is already a lot of information about the EOS M posted on the web from tech and photography websites. No need for me to summarize it. What I'll talk about in this post is the significance of this camera especially for Canon users and why I'm adding this to my options for a camera.

tunakko.net
Size and Portability. One of the biggest points to owning an EOS M. This is in comparison to a DSLR that I can't even bring everyday with me. It's not really safe to bring a DSLR with me everyday and even if I want to, I can't bring it with me to the office. No cameras allowed. A camera that is relatively small as the EOS M can change this. Sure it's not entirely pocketable especially when a zoom lens is attached but it's no DSLR to the eyes of the public and security guards.

cinema5d.com
Image Quality. Unlike the typical P&S cameras, the EOS M uses an APS-C size sensor, the same as those on entry to mid level Canon DSLRS, and Canon's latest DIGIC 5 processor. That's why it's not totally that small. The models that were mostly reviewed were pre-production models but if the current DSLRs that uses the same sensor and image processor can be used as basis, then I can safely assume that the pictures coming out of this camera will be fantastic.

Side note, I don't know why some people don't understand why we're glad that Canon used an APS-C sensor on this camera stating that the Sony NEX came first. We're not really saying that it came first, we're just glad that Canon didn't use a smaller sensor because we all know that sensor size does affect image quality (although now, smaller sensors are catching up a little to DSLR sensors).
www.dpreview.com
Those are the main reasons I'm adding the EOS M to my camera options. The compatibility to EF and EF-S lenses of Canon's DSLR lineup is a big plus. This is like the Olympus OM-D E-PM5 interchangeable lens system but with a more discreet look because of the almost-S100 form factor. I don't mind the lack of an optical viewfinder, I can live with that. What I'm worried about is the battery life. But we'll see come October or Q4 of this year when the final EOS M camera will be released to the public. As early as now, I can recommend this camera because I know that I might get this one in the future.




PS: I might get the Fuji X10 this week *wink* 

0 comments:

Post a Comment