Thursday, July 5, 2012

Camera Options for Me (And You)

bleed-the-sky.deviantart.com
There are a bunch of new and beautiful cameras out there right now and it's like a surge of options in the market for all those who are in the market for a new camera. Thing is, even though Canon has released the much awaited update for the 5D Mark II in the form of EOS 5D Mark III, it's not on the top of my list right now. Sure it's a powerhouse of a full frame camera with a finally "working" autofocus but the trend now, in PiPho at least, is that hobbyists are thinking of switching to the micro four-thirds (m4/3, mirrorless) system. Other than the m4/3s cameras, there are also a bunch of point & shoot cameras out there that will give you the image quality you're looking for less the weight (and sometimes the price) of those big black boxes of a DSLR.

Fuji X100
theonlinephotographer.typepad.com
It all started with the Fuji X100. Remember that I wanted to have this camera last year? Until I found out that the price was a bit too much for me. It's still one of the good options out there and I'm sure you guys have already heard about this amazing camera. Even Zack Arias has high praises for this little beast. It's not really put-in-your-pocket compact but it's not a heavy weight either and since it's a fixed lens and fixed zoom camera, you don't need to worry about getting other lenses (not unless that's a con for you). This little baby retails locally at around Php 50,000 on grey and around 5,000 more to get it from autorize resellers. Retro looks is a BIG PLUS!

Fuji X10
theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/
If you think that the X100 is still a big camera, then worry no more because it has a little brother in the form of the Fuji X10. With half the price of the X100, this is the compact version. Smaller size means smaller sensor but this time with a zoom lens equipped with image stabilization. The optical viewfinder doesn't have the gizmos of the X100 though but it zooms with the lens. It has the same color filter effects that replicates the renowned Fuji films such as Provia and Astia found in the X100 which I really like. This can fit in your pocket for sure! Image quality is really really good for it's class which is point and shoot. This baby is priced at Php 30,000 in The Digital Walker. Not bad eh?

Another image of the X10 with additional bottom grip. (Because I like it very much)

garynylander.blogspot.com/
Canon Powershot S100

www.theverge.com
Not to be outdone, Canon too has a couple of new cameras on the compact level. First, the S100. In true point and shoot compact form, this is the update of the famous S95. Priced at Php 21,000 on grey, it gives decent images although others said that it's not that much different to the S95 (click on the image to read TheVerge review). I haven't dived in to the details of this camera but if it's predecessor was praised then I guess the S100 will give you the same or even better images. If you can't pocket this, you don't have a pocket!

Canon Powershot G1X

technogra.ph
Then we have the more rugged looking Canon G1X. To be honest, I don't really look at the Powershot G series of Canon because I find them too bulky for my taste. It's like in the middle option and I would have opted for a DSLR but with this latest model, the G1X now sports a CMOS sensor. A definite bump in image quality, that's for sure! A bit pricey though at Php 36,000 on grey (I bought my old EOS 450D with the same price 3 years ago). But hey, it's not a big camera and security guards won't hassle you when they see you shooting with this. You can't put it in your pocket unless you want to rip your pocket open though but this will give you the shots you are looking for.

Olympus OM-D E-M5

www.trustedreviews.com
Now for my final camera option, I present to you the new Olympus OM-D E-M5. I know this looks very DSLR like compared to the other cameras I mentioned before but this is smaller and thinner than a DSLR because it doesn't have a mirror and this camera was actually designed to look like the old OM cameras of the film days. It has been out for quite sometime now but I really didn't pay attention to it because, as you can see, it looks a lot like a DSLR and what I'm actually looking for is a different look. But I've been reading around a PiPho thread talking about this camera and I might have been swayed by the BIs posted there. Here is a review by Robin Wong and I must say, those pictures says a lot about the camera. This is a interchangeable camera system meaning you need to buy into the whole Olympus line of lenses and since it's new, price is really steep  at Php 53,000 for a kit on grey with SRP at around Php 67,000. PRICEY and it obviously won't fit in your pocket not unless you want someone to say "... or are you just happy to see me?". But this an option indeed.

So those are the cameras that I'm looking at right now. There are a lot more in the market right now but I've thinned them out to these 5. (The first image not included.) If you feel like getting a new camera right now, you might want to give these babies a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment